The tips here will help you how to fix up the iMessage “Waiting for Activation” error on your iPhone on the iOS 8.x. You need to follow the recommended fixes properly to end up activating successfully.
Before you start following the guidelines, make sure to sort out these things:
1. Check your number is listed in the iPhone app. It can be found on top of ‘Contacts.’ If you don’t see it there, go to Settings > Phone > My Number. Here you need to enter your number.
2. Next, check whether the Date & Time are correct. You need to set it to ‘Set Automatically‘ and keep the Time Zone correct.
3. Apart from these two, you need to check your network. It should be properly working and cellular enabled is better as the Wi-Fi issues can cause problems in activation.
There are some users who have also reported the messages sent for activation goes out as international SMS. For this, you need to check out whether your carrier permits international SMS and also you have enough balance to send those.
Here are the possibles fixes for ‘Waiting for Activation’ error on iPhone and iPad
1. Contact Your Carrier
The first and foremost thing to do is to check with your carrier that it supports iMessage. You also need to contact the support team of your carrier to check if there is any limited condition for you the iMessage.
2. Airplane Mode
If other methods don’t work, try this strange one. The airplane mode is simple and solves the issue. Below are the steps how to do it:
Step 1: First go to Settings > scroll down and tap Messages and then turn off iMessage. Don’t forget to disable the FaceTime too here.
Step 2: Turn on Airplane mode. With this the Wi-Fi gets turned off by its own and you need to turn it on again.
Step 3: Now go to the Messages once again and then turn-on iMessage. You need to add your Apple ID if you haven’t earlier.
Step 4: Next, go to the Settings again and then turn off the Airplane mode.
Step 5: Meanwhile, you will be getting notification informing the carrier may charge for SMS. You need to tap on OK here. If it is not so, head to the Messages and there first turn off the iMessage and turn on again.
Step 6: Rest is done. In next few minutes the iMessage should get activated. A greyed out number could be seen along with an email ID.
Next, you may notice the number should be checked. It’s finally done. Now you should no longer see the ‘Waiting for Activation’ error. If the error is still on, jump to the next possible fix.
3. Apple ID Sign-out and Sign-in
You may need sometimes to sign-out of the Apple ID and again login. Follow the below steps:
- Go to Settings > Message, scroll down to ‘Send & Receive‘ and then tap it on.
- Next, you need to tap on the Apple ID and press Sign Out thereafter. Switch off the iMessage and wait for a while.
- Turn the Wi-Fi on and off, and then switch on the iMessage. Here you need to enter your Apple ID details and thereafter try reactivating the iMessage.
4. Reset, or Restore
Resetting of the location settings is required if things are not working. Next comes the resetting of the iPhone. After this, login with your Apple ID and then try setting up the iMessage as new. Even if this fails to serve the purpose, try restoring the iPhone as new or from a backup.
Let us know in the below given comment box if you were able to activate the iMessage.