Apple releases iOS 7.1, their long awaited iOS after a lengthy beta testing period. The most important update to their OS in six months focuses on CarPlay, Touch ID, Siri, bugs and some visual tweaks.
The new iOS 7.1 comes about six months after the iOS 7 release. Identified as build 11D167, this new iOS has gone through six beta testing releases.
The detailed features as listed by Apple.com are as follows:
- iOS experience designed for the car
- Simply connect your iPhone to a CarPlay enabled vehicle
- Supports Phone, Music, Maps, Messages, and 3rd-party audio apps
- Control with Siri and the car’s touchscreen, knobs, and buttons
- Manually control when Siri listens by holding down the home button while you speak and releasing it when you’re done as an alternative to letting Siri automatically notice when you stop talking
- New, more natural sounding male and female voices for Mandarin Chinese, UK English, Australian English, and Japanese
- Search field above Featured Stations to easily create stations based on your favorite artist or song
- Buy albums with the tap of a button from Now Playing
- Subscribe to iTunes Match on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to enjoy iTunes Radio ad-free
- Option to display events in month view
- Country specific holidays automatically added for many countries
- Bold font option now includes the keyboard, calculator, and many icon glyphs
- Reduce Motion option now includes Weather, Messages, and multitasking UI animations
- New options to display button shapes, darken app colors, and reduce white point
- New Camera setting to automatically enable HDR for iPhone 5s
- iCloud Keychain support in additional countries
- FaceTime call notifications are automatically cleared when you answer a call on another device
- Fixes a bug that could occasionally cause a home screen crash
- Improves Touch ID fingerprint recognition
- Improved performance for iPhone 4
- Fixes display of Mail unread badge for numbers greater than 10,000
- Continued user interface refinements
The update disables the evasi0n iOS 7 jailbreak. iOS 7.1 can be downloaded from the update tool in settings menu on iOS devices.
iOS 7.1 is supported on all devices that run iOS 7.1 including the iPhone 4, which is believed to improve in performance after the update.
The iOS 7.1 update is a 268 MB download for the iOS 7 users while 1.3 GB download for the users upgrading from a beta release of the OS.