Google Hangouts for iOS gets updated with free in-app voice calling support for U.S and Canada numbers. The app also now supports incoming/outgoing calls to/from a Google Voice number.
Google Hangouts for iOS app had similar functionality to the desktop version of the app but lacked in a few features like the above mentioned ones. The app didn’t provided in-app voice calling option or Google Voice integration.
The new version 1.3.0 enables the iPad and iPhone Hangout users to make unlimited free calls to any U.S or Canada phone number from within the app. The app also features extensive Google Voice support and you can make or receive calls from your Google Voice number.
For calling outside of North America, normal call charges apply like normal.
The extensive Google Voice integration with the app allows you to directly use your Voice credit and make calls across the globe using your Voice number as well.
The official update log states as follows.
What’s New in Version 1.3.0
– See which of your friends is using Hangouts, and who can be reached right now
– Call phone numbers from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch (free to the US and Canada)
– Make and receive calls using your Google Voice number
– Send and receive animated GIFs that play inline
– Hangouts will temporarily turn down your music (instead of stopping it) when you receive an incoming message
The update is made available for free on the iOS app store for download. Also, the app and the service are introduced as free of charge by Google for all platforms.